Time has passed and my mind has wondered back to Rust. This page is a scrap book of thoughts about Rust during my first week back.
Things I like about Rust...
- Built-in a build system (cargo)
- Immutable by default
- Explicit data ownership semantics
- Built-in documentation about the language and compiler errors
- Sensible type inference
- External module dependency versioning makes sense
- No implicit bool conversion
- Descriptive error reporting
- Tuples !
Things I'm not sure about... note I'm not saying these things are bad... just that I'm unconvinced at this point
- Allowing variable type changes via shadowing
Documentation is good and the community seem pretty tight and to know what they are doing. I've also watched a fair few Rust talks on YouTube now, which are easy to find. So go watch them !
More next week.